Skip to main content
Before Intravenous Sedation or General Anesthesia
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Bathe or shower and clean your mouth and teeth prior to surgery (don’t swallow any water, if you are being put to sleep for surgery). Good personal hygiene is extremely important to your post-operative recovery and the prevention of infection.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If scheduled to be asleep for the procedure, you may take your routine medications with a small sip of water prior to your surgical appointment.